Looking after future generations
The Mouton Foundation is funded primarily through sales and has its basis in Fairtrade premiums generated through our association with retail foundations such as Albert Heijn and Waitrose. Funds generated in this regard are directly proportionate to the sales of our goods to these merchants.
A democratically elected management body made up of Mouton Citrus employees are tasked with the administering of the aforementioned means. Our projects are conducted within the following themes:
- ECD (Early Child Development) centres (crèches): Three fully equipped and functioning centres, each with a dedicated curriculum specifically designed for the development of 3 to 5 year-olds. Teachers are trained monthly by the
- Pebbles Project (www.pebblesproject.co.za).
- Aftercare facilities and programmes: These include computer access with software in place to enhance the learning experience.
- Tertiary study bursaries: Provided to children of staff members who show great potential.
- Full-time nursing sister: Operating a mobile health service.
- Four health workers: Trained in collaboration with the Department of Health.
- An internal newsletter: Featuring proactive, healthy living programmes, talks and regular awareness articles.
- Holiday programmes: Including educational excursions for children
- The Young Stars Youth Group: Consisting of local farm children who perform regularly at local events
- Musical instruments: For adults and children
- Elderly Club: Offering arts and crafts
- Donations: To local schools
- Soccer uniforms: Supplying 14 soccer teams, made up from our seasonal workforce.
- Construction of Multipurpose Community Centre (MPCs) facilities for crèches, aftercare, a training hall, health programmes, social functions and general recreation.
- Sport fields: Created a rugby/soccer field near our community centre.
- Satellite television: In every household and access to internet in every community
- Gardening equipment: Provided equipment for our employee to tend their own recreational and vegetable gardens.